Visiting Scholars


At the Hebrew University, we have created a culture that values the involvement of dynamic, creative and dedicated researchers from the international academic community. We allocate significant funding and staff to attracting a broad variety of visiting professors, researchers and fellows. From answering initial questions handing applications, to matching researchers with colleagues at the university, to helping with the day-to-day logistics of living abroad, we invest substantial resources making your time here efficient, enjoyable and productive.

How do you get started?

  1. Make contact with a faculty member who will act as your official host.
  2. Arrange for a letter of invitation from the dean of the faculty (your host has to request this letter).

For questions about visas and other documentation, contact the coordinator: 

Ms. Limor Levy



ERASMUS+ - Incoming Staff Teaching Mobility (KA107)



ERASMUS+ - Incoming Staff Teaching Mobility (KA107)

The Hebrew University invites teaching staff from Erasmus+ partner universities for teaching visits at the university (kindly check with your International Office if there is an active agreement).

Formal Requirements

  • Duration of stay: minimum of 5 days at the Hebrew University and longer if permitted by agreement and budget.
  • Participants are required to deliver a minimum of 8 hours teaching per week (or part of week). Teaching can take on a variety of different forms, such as guest presentations in local courses related to expertise, workshops for graduate/doctoral student, one on one supervision, public lectures, etc.
  • Support for research-based stays is not provided within the scope of Erasmus+, however, research activities may be conducted in combination with a teaching stay.


Application Process

  • There is no deadline for applications. Interested teaching staff are invited to contact a relevant HUJI staff member to discuss opportunities to arrange a suitable time for the teaching staff visit during the academic year.
  • Please contact the International Office at your home university for further information on the application. Other regulations and deadlines may apply.
  • If the application is successful (in the case of a competitive call), the partner university staff exchange coordinator will notify the Hebrew University International Office via email (this step is called "nomination").
  • Following the nomination, a formal invitation letter should be prepared and sent to the guest by the Dean of the HUJI Faculty, as per the HUJI internal regulations, with a copy sent to the International Office - Limor Levy, Email:


Mobility Agreement for Teaching

  • Prior to arrival, the guest is required to have a "Teaching Mobility Agreement" fully signed. This agreement sets out the program for the visit goals and program and forms the basis of the mobility. The form needs to be approved and signed by the member of staff, the sending and the receiving institutions.
  • At HUJI, the agreement should be e-signed by the International Office and returned to the guest.
  • Important: The agreement will only be signed by the International Office after the formal letter of invitation from the Dean has been sent.
  • The fully signed version should be sent to the HUJI International Office, Email:


Refund of Expenses

All financial arrangements and reimbursements are via the home partner university and in accordance with their internal regulations.


Below are potential sources of funding for faculty visits:

China Scholarship Council - The Hebrew University Scholarships

The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (HUJI) offers scholarships to support visiting scholars for short visits from Chinese universities/research institutions in all fields of academic pursuit.

Financial Support: The CSC will provide $1000 per month for Visiting Scholars and a one-time return international airfare to Israel by the most economical route, and visa application fees. HUJI host scientists will provide a minimum of US$600 subsidy per month.

Deadline: 15 March annually

Lady Davis Fund

The Lady Davis Fellowship Trust was established 41 years ago in 1973 to provide an opportunity for Visiting Professors, Post-Doctoral Researchers and Doctoral Students from abroad, regardless of nationality, gender or field of scholarship to teach, study and participate in research in Israel at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

Deadline: November 30th, 2017 for 2018-19 (Expired)

More Information: Website


Based on bilateral agreements with a variety of European universities, faculty can visit the Hebrew University for short visits.

Interested faculty from the European partners should inquire at their University Erasmus+ office for further details regarding application and funding.

More information:  Please contact the Hebrew University Incoming Office:

Fulbright Specialist Program

Hebrew University faculty can invite their US counterparts for two to six week stays via The Fulbright Specialist Program (FSP), which aims to promote linkages between U.S. scholars and professionals and their counterparts at host institutions overseas.

Grant Duration: 2-6 weeks.

Deadline: Ongoing Application Deadline

Financial Support: Grant benefits includes international economy fare travel, paid prior to the start of the grant, approved related expenses, plus a $200 per day grant payment.

The Host HUJI faculty member cover grantee in-country costs, which typically include in-country costs for lodging, meals, and transportation. 


Practical Information

Find lots of practical information in our Guide for Visiting Reseachers 





The Hebrew University is spread over four campuses. Three of them are located in different parts of Jerusalem:

  • Edmond J. Safra Campus, Jerusalem (Natural Sciences, Computer Sciences and Engineering, Brain Sciences, Nano)
  • Mt. Scopus Campus, Jerusalem (Humanities, Social Sciences, Law, Business Administration, Education, Rothberg, University management)
  • Ein Kerem Campus, Jerusalem (Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Public Health, Nursing),
  • Rehovot Campus (Agriculture, Food and Technology, Veterinary Science).

For maps of campuses, buildings, parking areas, etc. click here

There is a free shuttle bus between the campuses in Jerusalem. Students enrolled in any of the Rothberg International School programs will be housed in the beautiful Student Village on Mount Scopus.

There are many different dormitory options, with dormitories both on and off campus. For examples, you can opt for a private room in an apartment with 2-5 rooms, or a shared room in a 2-3 room apartment. There are, in addition, dormitories with 10 single rooms on a floor and shared kitchen and bathrooms. Finally, there are options for married students, with and without children.

Please note that every dormitory request is reviewed as to eligibility and availability. For more information and to apply, please contact Mali at


Edmond J. Safra Campus (Givat Ram)


Click here for an overview of campus facilities and facts about living in Jerusalem. [website – standalone page  - Separate document titled “Givat Ram and Jerusalem Facts”]

The Zweig Dormitories has 450 beds in eight buildings. These rooms are for singles only, with two students sharing each room. Each building has communal kitchens, bathrooms and showers.

For a virtual tour click here.

The Lieberman Dormitories have 101 one-room apartments, and are designated for graduate students only. The apartments are furnished and feature air conditioning, as well as private kitchenettes and bathrooms. There is a small number of apartments for families.

A grocery, restaurant and TV room are nearby.

For a virtual tour click here.


Ein Kerem Campus


These dormitories are open only to students in the faculties/schools of Medicine, Dental Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Sciences and Public Health. There are 308 beds in seven buildings. The students share, two to a room. There are also 16 apartments for families.

There are nearby restaurants, laundromat, and club rooms.

For a virtual tour click here.


Independent Apartment Rental


The Hebrew University apartment board is a searchable listing where HUJI visiting faculty can locate furnished apartments when coming to Jerusalem. Click here to use the board.

Below are a number of other helpful starting places for finding housing on your own:


Flat Hunting

Sabbatical Homes



Mount Scopus Campus


There are three main dormitories on Mount Scopus.

The Student Village is comprised of several buildings containing two, three and five room apartments, and every student gets his own room. Each apartment has a kitchen, sitting area, and bathroom in addition to the bedrooms. The apartments are furnished, including air conditioning and internet connections, though kitchen equipment and bedding are not provided.

For a virtual tour, click here.

The Meiersdorf (Reznick) dormitories have 1800 beds in 19 apartment buildings. These rooms are for singles only, and most students have their own room. There are 10 rooms on each floor, with a shared kitchen, bathroom and showers. Kitchen equipment and bedding are not provided.

The complex offers a laundromat, supermarket, computer rooms, synagogue and basketball court.

The Bronfman (Idelson) dormitories have 1,300 beds, in two- and three-room apartments. These are mostly shared, with two students to a room, but a limited number of students have their own room. Kitchen equipment and bedding is not provided. All apartments have a kitchen and a bathroom with shower.

In addition, there are a few one- and two-room apartments for couples and families.

The Bronfman dormitory complex has a gym, laundromat, and a club room. For a virtual tour, click here.


Rehovot Campus

Students in the M.Sc. programs typically reside in one of the student dormitory buildings located on the Faculty of Agriculture campus. The campus is located on a main street in the city of Rehovot, 55 kilometers southwest of the main campus of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and 30 kilometers southeast of Tel Aviv. Outside the main entrance to the campus students have full access to most of their living needs within walking distance. There is abundant public transportation and taxi service for students to travel around the city and to all parts of the country.

The dormitories are standard for Israeli and visiting students alike, and are within short walking distance to all classrooms and facilities on campus. A few options (of varying costs) are offered: a single room, a double room shared by two students, or an apartment unit shared by four to five students. If a student is able to afford off-campus accommodations, they should feel free to rent a room or an apartment in the area. These are generally more expensive and at a greater distance from classrooms and other facilities on campus.

Single and double rooms contain a small refrigerator, bed, cupboard, desk and chair for each occupant, and share a large communal kitchen and dining area with the residents of the building. Multiple bathroom and shower facilities are shared by all rooms on each floor. The apartment unit contains its own kitchen, shower, restrooms and living area. All rooms have air-conditioning. Dormitory rooms are equipped with basic furniture; household items, such as bedding, towels and cooking utensils are not provided. Students in the International M.Sc. Program have the option of purchasing the basic household items through the Division for External Studies before their arrival.

For a virtual tour click here.



Cost of Living

how much


Estimated Costs for International Students at the Hebrew University


Type of Expense


   Exchange Student   

Degree Student

Tuition (monthly)

 Tuition fee waiver 

  Depends on Degree Program   

Application fee


Depends on degree program

$80 - $110

*Housing (including utilities)



**Medical Insurance






Personal Expenses/leisure





The price mentioned here is for a single room in a shared apartment in student dormitories on campus (where international students usually reside). The dormitory rent varies according to room type and availability: double room, single room, or single room in a shared apartment.

Off-campus apartments are also an option. Prices are fairly similar to dorms.

The International School does not assist with off-campus housing and can be challenging for an international student to find from afar.


**Medical Insurance

The Hebrew University of Jerusalem requires all students to be covered by adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay. Scholarship students are provided with health insurance. Self-funding students are required to purchase comprehensive health insurance either privately or via the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Cost: 1.7$ per day.


Please note: The figures mentioned above are an estimation. Costs can vary according to your personal spending habits.



Health Insurance


All students at the Hebrew University, including part-time and external students, must have health insurance coverage for the period of their studies.

Students enrolled in the Rothberg International School

  • Unless otherwise noted, all non-­Israeli students attending a semester/year program, Hebrew language ulpan, or a summer program who pay tuition will receive health insurance for the period of their program, provided they meet the criteria. Students who remain in the University over the summer must visit the Finance Office to extend their policy (for a fee).
  • Students attending a special program that provides health insurance coverage will be required to sign a health insurance waiver upon arrival.
  • Part-time students taking individual courses in the divisions of Undergraduate Studies, Graduate Studies or Hebrew Language Instruction or the Preparatory Program must purchase health insurance for the period of their studies, including the break between semesters, if applicable.
  • Students who are Israeli citizens or new immigrants (olim) are personally responsible for joining an Israeli health fund (kupat holim) to assure their access to medical care. They must submit the Health Insurance Waiver.

Regular students and postdoctoral students

Regular students and postdoctoral students are automatically signed up for health insurance through the Student Authority. The tuition fee includes the cost of the insurance. Each student will be charged according to the period of studies for which s/he has registered (academic year or semester).

For more information, contact, Yoav Cohen Melamed:


The office of Harel - Yedidim, which handles student insurance,

+972-3-6386216 or +972-3-6386216,

Visiting Researchers

Visitors are responsible for arranging their health insurance independently.


Learning the Language


The Division of Hebrew Language Instruction offers modern Hebrew language courses on all levels. Since its establishment in 1965, the number of students studying in the Division has risen to about 2,500 annually, making the Rothberg International School the largest academic institution in the world for the study of Hebrew.

Hebrew language is taught by a highly professional and experienced staff. Emphasis is placed on internalizing the language and practical usage.

The School offers intensive Modern Hebrew language courses (ulpanim), during the summer and winter, as well as Hebrew language courses and electives during the academic year. The Division also runs a center for training teachers of Hebrew as a second language.




How to get to HUJI 

Campus Maps

Rav Kav/City Pass

For those coming to visit Israel and plan to depend upon public transportation, there is a pass called a Rav Kav (City Pass)which allows transportation within cities and between cities with all bus companies, as well as aboard the Jerusalem Light Rail. A Rav Kav and can be attained by tourists and locals alike and is available at the Central Bus Station of any city.

You will fill out a form with pertinent information and provide identification, (such as a passport). Your photo will be taken and the card delivered to you within  minutes. Using this card, you can get on any bus in any city and purchase a multiple ride card which affords you up to a 20% discount on the regular fare. All prices are in shekels and must be paid in cash, but the savings can be significant if you are traveling a lot by bus — within cities or between them.


Visas and Government Permits


All students coming to Israel for a semester, or for a year- or degree program must acquire a multiple-entry A/2 student visa from the Israeli Consulate in their country of residence before arriving in Israel. This visa is generally issued for 12 months; thus students who are coming for the year are advised to obtain the visa close to their date of departure. If needed, the visa can be extended yearly until the end of the student's studies.

For questions regarding the visa process please contact:

General information:

Extension of visas for an additional period:

Rothberg Hebrew Ulpan students:

Rothberg Undergraduate program:

Rothberg Graduate program:

Regular students (BA and MA):

Doctoral students:

Postdoctoral students: 

Visiting researchers:

If you are coming with family members (spouse and/or child) they should acquire multiple-entryaccompanying family A/4 visa prior to arrival in Israel. In this scenario, please bring with you copies of your marriage license and your children's birth certificates (official English translations), as applicable. You will need these documents in order to extend your family's visas.

Postdoctoral students from India, China and Korea must contact Ms. Limor Levy at for help with their specific visa applications.

Please note that holders of A/2 student visas and A/4 accompanying family visas are not allowed to work in Israel. Students are allowed to receive fellowships.