Health Insurance


Information on Health Insurance


All international students (who are not Israeli citizens* or residents) must have health insurance coverage while they are students at the Hebrew University.

All degree students and post-doctoral fellows are required to have an Israeli health insurance policy.

The insurance can be arranged through the Hebrew University or independently.

Insurance via the University

Student who chooses the insurance offered through the University will receive the Harel Insurance with the “Clalit” Health Medical Organization (HMO).

This policy is recommended by the university as it is provides comprehensive coverage for pregnancy, psychological services, emergency flight evacuation and more which are not necessarily included in other health insurance policies.

Note that it is not possible to join the policy during pregnancy, considered as a pre-existing condition.

Please see here information regarding the health insurance procedures.

The insurance company does not send a reminder for those who need to extend the insurance. The extension is on the responsibility of the student.

*If you are an Israeli citizen and you have state medical coverage, you are exempt from purchasing medical insurance upon providing proof of medical coverage


Insurance Arranged Independently 

For international students who opt to independently purchase health insurance, we require that you purchase a health insurance policy with one of the 4 HMOs (Leumit, Maccabi, Meuchedet, Clalit) in Israel, or with insurance companies that provide the health services through the HMOs, as currently they enable students to receive full Covid-19 vaccinations and testing services.

We encourage you to do your own market research. There are of course many more options in the market with English service, however, it is important to note that the above university policy of independent options are with Israeli HMOs.

Please note: HUJI International has no responsibility for the services provided by any of the above companies.

Students Enrolled in the Faculty of Agriculture International School

Faculty of Agriculture International School students should refer to the website for further details.


Students Enrolled in the Rothberg International School (RIS)

Exchange students, study abroad students, visiting research/fellow students and others who are enrolled through the Rothberg International School should refer to the RIS website for further  details.