A well-established strategic partnership exists with Freie Universitaet Berlin, initiated in 2011, and based on a series of agreements. These agreements include a Strategic Collaboration agreement signed in 2011, university level Student Exchange agreement and faculty level exchange agreements in various fields, including International Relations, Law, Communications, a Joint PhD agreement, Erasmus+ bilateral agreements for student and staff exchange, Administrative Staff Exchange Agreement and various joint academic programs.
The partnership includes a wide range of joint teaching and research activities:
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem-Freie Universitaet Berlin Joint PhD Program
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem-Freie Universitaet Berlin Joint Post Doctoral Program.
- Partner in "University Alliance for Sustainability“, funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)’s funding scheme for strategic networks, under the coordination of Freie Universitaet Berlin, including its strategic partners (PKU, UBC, St. Petersburg) Funding for meetings, staff and student exchanges. HUJI Coordinator: Prof. Yael Mishael, Head of School for Environmental Studies.
- Joint Research Projects: Annual Calls for applications for joint seed projects which have funded dozens of joint research projects.
- German-Israel Virtual Campus – The Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Freie Universität Berlin are jointly developing the German-Israeli Virtual Campus (GIVCA), a platform for the strategic joint development of digital teaching initiatives and for the implementation of joint research projects. The goal of this project is to go beyond the two initial universities and to have a long-term impact on the use of digital technologies in teaching, research and the internationalization of universities.
- Student Exchanges for undergraduate and graduate students in all fields of study.
- Erasmus+ mobility program – student and staff mobility in both directions, funded by the Erasmus+ KA107 International Credit Mobility program, 2015-21.
- Call for Joint Online Courses- With the goal of advancing German-Israeli Scientific Cooperation both in research and teaching, Freie Universität Berlin (FUB) and The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (HUJI), as part of their strategic partnership, are launching an initiative to develop and conduct joint digital and blended learning, teaching and mobility formats. The call is part of the project German-Israeli Virtual Campus (GIVCA) between both universities.