Visas and Government Permits

General Information

Obtaining a visa is one of the most important and necessary steps when preparing for your time at Hebrew University. The type of visa you’ll need depends on the purpose of your stay.

The websites of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs provide detailed information on visas. Please refer to the general website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and to the website of the Israeli mission in your home country. Since the Ministry of Foreign Affairs periodically updates visa requirements, we highly recommend that you check for updates from time to time.
If you have any questions, please contact the Visa Coordinator at the International Office (

Visa Types and Application Process 

A/2 Student Visa
All international students, PhD candidates, and postdocs planning to study at Hebrew University in a short- or long-term program or to attend a Hebrew language program must obtain an A/2 student visa through an Israeli diplomatic mission abroad prior to their arrival to Israel. The visa is valid for a maximum of 12 months, allows for multiple entries, and can be extended. Your passport must be valid for the full period of the visa. Recipients of the A/2 visa are not permitted to work in Israel.
We recommend to start the process of applying for your visa at least one month prior to your departure for Israel. Please inquire with the nearest Israeli embassy or consulate about what documents are needed to start the application process. It is safe to assume that you will be asked to present your acceptance letter to the Hebrew University.
If you are an Israeli citizen or have Israeli parents, or if you are entitled to immigrate to Israel under the Law of Return, you will find additional relevant information below.

A/4 Visa - For Spouses and Children of Holders of A/2 Visas
This visa is granted to spouses and minor children of recipients of A/2 visas. In order to apply for this visa, you’ll have to submit a notarized marriage certificate and/or birth certificates of your children.
HUJI’s international Office will provide details on how to obtain this visa upon request.

B/1 Work Visa
A B/1 visa is granted to individuals whose stay in Israel is approved for a limited period of time for the purpose of work, such as overseas faculty members, researchers, and postdocs who will be receiving a salary from Hebrew University (this excludes fellowships, living stipends, and scholarships). This visa is granted with the sole approval of the Ministry of Interior, is valid for 12 months, and may be extended upon request.

A B/1 visa can only be issued in Israel and is then sent to the relevant Israeli embassy abroad. HUJI’s international Office can provide details on how to obtain this visa. Once the visa has been requested, please do not approach your local Israeli embassy before receiving notice that your visa is ready to be picked up.

Validity of the B/1 work visa is determined by the guidelines of the Ministry of Interior. The employee must enter Israel within the time period specified on the visa and must remain in the country for the duration specified. Holders of a B/1 visa may request a B/2 visa for accompanying family members, specifically for the duration of their B/1 visa.

Immigrants Under the Law of Return and Returning Residents
Please contact the Jewish Agency if you’re considering immigrating to Israel under the Law of Return. They will offer you advice and help you obtain an Immigration Visa. If you’re from the United States, Canada or the United Kingdom, you may also receive guidance and support from the non-profit organization Nefesh B’Nefesh

If you have Israeli citizenship, were born in Israel, or have at least one Israeli parent, please contact your local Israeli embassy or consulate so that they can check your citizenship status.