צלם יוסי דה פונס

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W |X | Y | Z


Acceptance committee

The committee that evaluates student exchange requests. Each request is examined by two academic adjudicators prior to the placement process.

Authorization of language proficiency

Foreign universities have language requirements for acceptance. It is important to check the language requirements carefully, to take the language proficiency exams if needed, and to submit the required authorizations. Non-compliance with the language requirements will prevent admission to a given university.

Bilateral agreement

An agreement that is signed by two institutions for the purpose of student exchange. The agreement includes mutual exemption from tuition, and sets the number of students traveling in each direction and other conditions. These agreements sometimes include granting scholarships from various sources.

Call for Applications

A notice for students to apply to student exchange programs. The principal Call for Applications is published once a year, usually between September and November. It is published on the International Office website and an announcement is also sent to students through the university’s communication system.

Course recognition

Courses studied abroad will be accredited after they are successfully completed (with a passing grade or better). The home faculty may require a higher grade than merely passing for courses also required by Hebrew University.

After returning to Israel, students must submit the internal report card they received from the host university in order to plan the remainder of their studies at Hebrew University. Course accreditation will be confirmed after receiving the host university’s official transcript, which will be transferred by email or hard copy to the International Office within three months from the day of return to Israel. Credits will be granted according to the rules of equivalence.


A program of the European Union for Education, Training, Youth and Sport. Hebrew University has signed Erasmus+ agreements with more than 40 different institutions in Europe through the sub-program “KA1: International Credit Mobility.” Students and researchers who take part in an Erasmus+ student exchange program receive a full or partial scholarship from the European Union.

Fact sheet

A short document that covers relevant information for student exchange participants, including contact people, registration deadlines, conditions for acceptance, a list of courses open to exchange students, the academic calendar, and other information about visas, housing, insurance, additional costs, etc. These fact sheets can be found in the Call for Applications, in the International Office website, and usually on the host university’s website.

Faculty-level agreement

An agreement that is signed by two faculties or departments at two institutions for the purpose of student exchange. The agreement includes mutual exemption from tuition, and sets the number of students traveling in each direction and other conditions. The agreement is signed at the faculty level and includes the fields of study that are relevant to that faculty. The faculties are responsible for signing and overseeing these agreements.

Home institution

The university where the student is registered for their degree and which sends the student on an exchange program at a partner university abroad.

Host institution

A partner university/institution abroad that accepts students enrolled at another university to an exchange program.

Learning agreement

Every student must fill out a Learning Agreement before leaving for the student exchange program. The Agreement includes the selected courses and number of credit points. It must be signed by an academic coordinator before going abroad in order to receive academic recognition for the courses after returning from the student exchange program.

Many institutions have an official Learning Agreement. If a host institution does not provide a Learning Agreement, exchange students must fill out Hebrew University’s Learning Agreement, which they can find at their home faculty’s academic office.

Motivational letter

A letter that must be submitted as part of the request to go on a student exchange program. In the letter, students must describe the reasons for choosing the institution/s which they are interested in attending, including the connection between the proposed study program at that institution and their current and/or future academic studies, courses listed in the online application on the scholarship website, language studies, and/or multi-cultural studies.


After being accepted to the student exchange program by Hebrew University, students are then nominated to the partner university abroad. This is an official process that takes place between the two institutions at the International Office level. The nomination process ensures that the student passed the home institution’s acceptance process and has been found suitable by the Acceptance Committee for the student exchange program.

Partner institution

A university or research institution with which Hebrew University has signed a student exchange agreement.

Student exchange

Students earning a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree at Hebrew University can study abroad for one semester or for one year at one of Hebrew University’s partner universities. During that time, they can study or conduct research and receive academic credit for courses taken abroad as part of their degree, without paying tuition to the foreign university.

Tuition waiver

Student exchange agreements include mutual tuition waivers. This means that students continue to pay tuition as usual to their home institution and are exempt from paying tuition to the host institution.

University-level agreement

An agreement signed between two institutions for the purpose of student exchange. The agreement includes mutual exemption from tuition, and establishes the number of students traveling in each direction and other conditions.

University-level agreements are signed by the universities’ management and include all fields of study aside from fields that are excluded from the agreement (usually medicine and veterinary studies).

The International Office is responsible for these agreements and their operations.