What is a student exchange program?


Hebrew University students earning a bachelor’s (BA/BSc), master’s or PhD degree are eligible to take part in a student exchange program for a single semester or for one year to study or conduct research at one of Hebrew University’s partner universities. During the student exchange program, students take courses and/or conduct research, and receive academic credit toward their degree for the courses successfully completed abroad.

At the beginning of each academic year, the International Office publishes a Call for Applications to the student exchange program, which includes the list of universities abroad to choose from. The Call for Applications contains extensive information about exchange programs at each university, and you’ll need to select three universities to which to apply.

After the application deadline, all submitted applications are assessed and applicants are informed of their assigned university. In the following months, students prepare for their departure through guidance provided by the International Office and the hosting institution abroad. Finally, in the summer months (August/September), students arrive at their host universities and begin their exchange abroad.  


Who can apply?

  • 2nd and 3rd year BA and BSc students (in order to complete their BA/BSc degree and on condition that they have at least 10 remaining credits as of the current academic year)
  • 3rd year BA and BSc students planning to begin a master’s degree next year – subject to prior approval from their department
  • MA/MSc students – subject to prior approval from their department
  • PhD students at various stages of their doctoral studies.

All students must have a cumulative GPA of 80 or above.




Call for Applications is published
Annual Calls for Applications are submitted at the beginning of the academic year. (October/November)

Deadline for submitting applications to the student exchange program
The application deadline is typically one month following the Call’s publication.

The Acceptance Committee’s final determinations are published approximately 2 months following application submission. 4 months prior to the start of the academic year, applicants will be informed whether they have been accepted to a host university.

Preparations for going abroad
During the pre-departure period, you’ll be in touch with HUJI’s International Office and the host university to coordinate the academic and administrative details of your stay abroad (visa, health insurance, housing, registration, etc.).

Going abroad
Undergraduate students can go abroad in the fall or spring semester of their 3rd year, graduate students in their 2nd year, and PhD students at any stage. Students must confirm that the intended period of their stay abroad is in accordance with the academic calendar of the host university and compatible with the requirements of the study program at HUJI (they should check, for example, if studies abroad commence after the exam period at HUJI).

Returning home
Students can return to Israel upon completion of their semester at their host university.


How does it work?

There are three main student exchange tracks:

1. University level agreements (through the International Office):
Hebrew University has student exchange agreements with a large selection of leading universities in Europe, North and South America, Australia and East Asia. Most of these agreements include all academic fields.
See list of university level agreements here.

2. Faculty level agreements (through individual faculties):
Various Hebrew Universities faculties offer student exchange agreements with universities around the world. These agreements are only open to students affiliated with those faculties and who are studying specific academic fields. For this track, students must apply to student exchange programs through the faculty and not through the International Office.
See list of faculty level agreements here

3. Erasmus+ agreements (through the International Office or through individual faculties):
The European Union’s Erasmus+ Program for Education, Training, Youth and Sport.
Hebrew University cooperates with more than 30 different institutions in Europe through the Erasmus+ sub-program “KA1: International Credit Mobility.” Students who take part in an Erasmus+ student exchange program receive a full or partial scholarship from the European Union.
See list of participating universities here

Where can I go?

You can choose from over 100 universities around the world.

Check the lists of participating institutions in this year’s Call for Applications.

The following are lists of the universities with which Hebrew University offers student exchange programs, organized by track:

Track 1: University-Level Agreements

Track 2: Faculty-Level Agreements

Track 3: Erasmus+Agreements

How will it affect my studies at home?


Undergraduate students (BA/BSc degrees) generally take at least 10 credit points and no more than 20 credit points that will be recognized on their transcripts as courses studied abroad. Master’s students are required to study between 6-10 credit points. The courses taken abroad will serve as a substitute for elective courses (and/or "cornerstone" courses – אבני פינה) or as a substitute for compulsory courses and language courses as specified in the student exchange regulations. The obligation to submit seminar papers as part of studying abroad cannot be fulfilled.

If you would like to take a class that is obligatory for your degree, it is important to make sure that:

  1. Most of the course syllabus at the host university overlaps with Hebrew University’s syllabus
  2. You have not already taken a similar course at Hebrew University.

If you are a graduate student, it is important that you confirm in advance any degree requirements (such as seminar papers or a thesis) that must be completed at Hebrew University as opposed to abroad. If you go abroad for a single semester, bear in mind that you won’t be able to take a full-year course at Hebrew University (or abroad, for that matter).

Students enrolled in two different faculties may submit an application for an exchange semester focusing solely on one of their study fields. However, they should inform both faculties in advance about their intention to study abroad and discuss the implications that time abroad will have for the second study field. 

Be sure to take into account the possibility that it may take longer to complete your degree at HUJI should you choose to participate in an exchange program, which will affect your overall tuition.

Generally, classes studied abroad on a student exchange program that are recognized by Hebrew University will be recorded in your file as credit points earned, and not as grades. 


What should you consider before deciding to apply?

There are several implications to studying abroad that should be carefully considered before you decide to apply:

  • Cost of Attendance
  • Possible extension of your degree studies by a semester or year
  • Impact on work, housing, family, relationships, etc.
  • Studies in other tracks within the department or faculty
  • Readiness to spend an extended period of time in a foreign country

How much will it cost?


The cost of participation in student exchange programs varies, depending on different factors such as the host country, length of stay, standard of living, and more.  

While on your exchange program, you’ll continue to pay tuition to Hebrew University as usual (and not to the host university), aside from registration fees that you may be required to pay. In addition, there are various expenses that you should take into account, including: plane tickets, accommodations, food, health insurance, passport, visas, local transportation, and personal expenses.


This website provides information about the estimated cost of living in each country.

In order to pay for the trip, you may be eligible to receive a scholarship offered by the International Office through the Erasmus+ program, or other scholarships that can help offset the cost of studying abroad. Relevant information regarding scholarships can be found in the Call for Applications.


Authorization of English proficiency (such as English B2) on behalf of Hebrew University (https://openscholar.huji.ac.il/sites/default/files/languages/files/autho...)
If you have been assigned to a host university that requests such a document, please contact Miriam Poupko, academic advisor of HUJI’s Unit of English as a Foreign Language (e-mail: miriam.poupko@mail.huji.ac.il). 

How can I receive more information?

  • International Office
  • List of contact people
  • Program advisors and academic offices: It’s important to plan your participation in a student exchange program as early as your first year of degree studies. Together with your academic advisor, you can plan your course load for your entire degree, taking your time abroad into account from the get-go and making it feasible to complete your degree on schedule, without needing to extend the overall duration of your studies. 
  • Map of partner universities abroad 
  • Websites and fact sheets from the foreign universities (appear in the Call for Applications). Visit the websites of the various universities you are interested in and learn about the proposed study programs for exchange students (by clicking on the names of the institutions in the Call for Applications).
  • At the beginning of each academic year, the International Office organizes exchange information sessions for students. Check our website for the dates of our upcoming sessions.
  • Question and answer page
  • Speak with students who returned from student exchange programs at the universities you are considering. The International Office will gladly help you contact them.
  • Student Administration Division regulations regarding student exchange programs